ForHearts Worldwide is dedicated to saving lives around the world by providing the world’s needy with pacemakers. A pacemaker, defined as an electronic device that is implanted in the body to monitor heart rate and rhythm giving the heart electrical stimulation when it does not beat normally, can prevent tragic outcomes from easily manageable heart rhythm conditions. Heartbeat International Foundation has a 37-year history in treating patients with these types of cardiac conditions. However, there are many more cardiac conditions and, globally, cardiovascular disease is still the number 1 killer. According to the World Health Organization, 32% of deaths reported every year, including the 17.9 million in 2019 alone, are from cardiovascular diseases.
One person dies in the US from cardiovascular disease every 36 seconds. Why?
- Coronary Artery Disease is the buildup of plaque that restricts blood flow to the heart and leads to heart attacks. Also called ischemic heart disease, development of this condition starts in childhood and contributes to more than 9 million deaths annually.
- High Blood Pressure is a leading risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Nearly 54% of all strokes and 47% of coronary artery disease are attributed to HBP annually.
- Smoking led to almost 8 million deaths in 2019. A Global Burden of Disease study indicated this was the second leading risk factor for mortality.
- Physical Inactivity was reported to be over 27% globally, and leads to compromised cardiac health and increased risk of overweight and obesity.
- Heartbeat Irregularity conditions are expected to lead to the necessity of 1.43 million pacemaker implantations annually by 2023.
- Of the 17.9 million deaths in 2019, 85% were due to heart attack and stroke.
- Most cardiovascular diseases are completely preventable by addressing behavioral risk factors like unhealthy diet and obesity, physical inactivity, tobacco use, and harmful use of alcohol.
- Early detection of cardiovascular disease leads better disease management through cardiovascular health education, dietary and lifestyle changes, and any necessary medications or interventions.
- Over three quarters of cardiovascular disease deaths take place in low- and middle-income countries.
- Pacemakers are highly impactful implantations that restore life expectancy with low risk rates.
While there is still work that needs to be done to increase the global awareness of cardiovascular diseases and effective prevention methods, and access to treatment, organizations like ours are making great strides and saving lives. Many families and communities around the world are impacted by the tragedy of lives lost to heart disease, and even saving one life is an important step in the right direction.
ForHearts Worldwide is the nonprofit leader when it comes to providing lifesaving cardiovascular implantable devices at our global Heart Center locations. Not only do we provide the device and implant procedure, but we provide a lifetime of follow up care for our patients. Your monthly and annual donations make this possible. Every $585 donated can save a life that might otherwise be lost to a treatable heart condition. Through an incredible network of physicians, facilities, and healthcare providers, we have spent the last four decades fulfilling our mission of saving the lives of some of the neediest patients in the world. With your continued support, we look forward to another year of compassionate care and many more lives saved in 2022. We appreciate you!